Custom Search

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Atonement of Christ

The Atonement of Jesus is depicted as he kneels in the Garden of Gethsemane (see Luke 22:43).

The literal meaning of the word "Atonement" is self-evident: at-one-ment, the act of unifying or bringing together what has been separated and estranged. The Atonement of Jesus Christ was indispensable because of the separating transgression, or fall, of Adam, which brought death into the world when Adam and Eve partook of the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil (Gen. 2:9; 3:1-24).

Because He was God—even the Son of God—He could carry the weight and burden of other men's sins on Himself. Isaiah prophesied our Savior's willingness to do this in these words: "Surely he has borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows. He was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed." (Isaiah 53:4-5.)

That holy, unselfish act of voluntarily taking on Himself the sins of all other men is called the Atonement. How one could bear the sins for all is beyond the comprehension of mortal man. But this I know: He did take on Himself the sins of all and did so out of His infinite love for each of us.

No mortal being had the power or capability to redeem all other mortals from their lost and fallen condition, nor could any other voluntarily forfeit His life and thereby bring to pass a universal resurrection for all other mortals. Only Jesus Christ was able and willing to accomplish such a redeeming act of love.

What does the Atonement of Jesus Christ means to you? Please share your stories below.

8 comments:

bluedreamer27 said...

we just watched senakulo here
and it nice to see how they pay tribute with the Holy week
hello there my friend
just dropping by here
have a great day and happy blogging

Analee said...

This is a very timing issue to reflect our lives on the life of our Savior who suffer from our sins. To me atonement is more of a universal redemption,but an infinite and intimate as well, as I think of myself being redeemed because of His great love for me.

Anonymous said...

And still we are called to foolow in his footsteps. This was his new commandment (ref. John).

Thank you for your blogpost. We need reminders of the basics of Christianity.

JESUS CHRIST EXEMPLIFIED

Happy Easter! Crucified
Jesus Christ exemplified
justice ridiculed and scorn.
Risen, though, life saved and born.

Her Glitter Life said...

There are so may things that the Atonement of Christ means to me. But I can tell you that it amazes me that Jesus Christ went through all that for us sinners! It's amazing . It means I can be forgiven and return to live with my Father in Heaven again.

anney said...

To me it means Jesus had to die on the cross for the redemption of mankind from sin.He was the only one capable of carrying out the atonement for all mankind.

Power Up Love said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Power Up Love said...

Atonement of Jesus Christ to me means: Through all my screw ups I have a friend who loves me unconditionally. The whole world and everyone in it could pass me by, dislike or despise me, but through it all I have the best friend ever, Jesus Christ our Lord and Savor.

It makes me happy to know that everybody friend or foe, whether they are willing to admit or submit we all share that common bond despite any differences we might have:)

His love saves!

Johnny said...

It means that God found me worthy even before I was born. I was saved through his grace and not through anything special that I did--other than accept that he is the Savior the Son of the Living God and that he forgave all of my sins, again through nothing special other than admitting the aforementioned.

You have posted a very good description of its meaning. Keep up the good work!